Raid & Battle of Dazar'alor Guide
Discipline Raid Strengths and How To Maximize Them
The Discipline spec in Battle for Azeroth has grown substantially in the breadth and flexibility of its healing in a raid environment. While they were known primarily for their raid burst healing in Legion, Battle for Azeroth Discipline has managed to maintain a great deal of that burst potential, while also adding greater tools to increase their healing in between burst phases. Thanks to Evangelism's continuation in the talent tree, Discipline's ability to offer consistent burst healing to counter key boss mechanics remains powerful, but with the recent power boosts described later in Azerite traits affecting Smite, your consistent healing outside of bursts is much improved.
The Schism talent has been adjusted and in conjunction with Sins of the Many can continue to offer a similar burst oriented playstyle that Discipline has known throughout Legion, while Twist of Fate can offer some more flexibility in ability usage in between bursts of damage. Improved efficiency out of Shadow Mend, Power Word: Shield, and the removal of Plea offer greater spot heal potential than Discipline has known before which will synergize well with raids which have consistent heavy tank damage and spot heal requirements.
Discipline Raid Weaknesses and How To Prepare for Them
It is no secret that Discipline is a more proactive minded healer and one of the biggest vulnerabilities of the specialization is a lack of preparedness. Knowledge of encounters in addition to strong fundamentals is required in order to leverage the highest potential of the spec. Holy for example is often touted as a very fundamental-based healer in which you can simply focus on casting Holy Words and Prayer of Mending almost on cooldown to yield a reasonably high performance. Discipline, however, continuously requires study of future encounters along with frequent trial and error to identify and exploit damage patterns to your advantage.
To prepare yourself for new encounters in Dazar'alor, it is recommended that you go through the dungeon journal or check out the Battle for Dazar'alor guide on the site to identify the consistent large bursts of damage that will go out on each fight. After you've outlined some specific boss abilities, start looking at the timing of each ability. This can be done by watching a video, or if you are already in the raid you can use a combat timer like one which is built into the Exorsus Raid Tools addon. Once you have a solid plan on where you likely will be able to line up Evangelism/Schism windows, adjust your weakauras or boss mods to emphasize specific times leading up to the big damage event. Some bosses are energy based, while others have more of a rough timer. Using DBM or BigWigs you can change the sounds and graphics that appear for specific mechanics to help train you to prepare for damage output. It is often recommended to use a unique sound as your "ramp up reminder" about 10-15 seconds before the hit occurs. If you use the same sound for different boss fights, it can quickly become muscle memory to hear that specific sound and prompting you to ramp up to deal with it.
While often players will view this preparation primarily for ramping up to near-full raid coverage, this can also apply towards spot healing requirements in cutting-edge progression. This environment can often stretch the common "best practices" outlined in guides and push you towards more unorthodox healing in order to fulfill the requirements created by the boss. An example of this can be slowing down or harming your ramp up priority system in order to use Shadow Mend or even Penance in a defensive manner to provide emergency spot healing.
Good Azerite Traits for Raids
Key traits to target for Discipline in a raiding environment:
- Treacherous Covenant - Offers a strong Intellect buff while over 50% health. The intellect bonus stacks while the negative side effect of increased damage taken does not stack. Is a strong trade off especially because healers are often able to control their own health pool far easier than other dps.
- Enduring Luminescence - Offering additional duration to Atonement applied through PWR offers a significant increase in healing potential in and out of Evangelism windows. Ideally, have exactly one Azerite piece with this trait on it.
- Depth of the Shadows - The 2nd "one of" trait that you would like to pursue on the outer ring of the new azerite pieces. Depth offers strong value to Shadow Mend and bonus Atonement duration for any that are applied through Shadow Mend.
Note: For the Dazar'alor raid items selections below, this list is meant to put some suggestions of pieces to pursue assuming highest item level is often the priority in non-azerite, int-based slots like Gloves or Belt. Having this entire set be your best pieces is unlikely to be achievable and will likely focus too much on just one stat. Usually mid-high 20s is sufficient for haste value so Crit/Mastery can then be pursued in other slots in lieu of stacking just haste.
|Staff||Shandai, Watcher of Cosmos||
|Main Hand||Vorzz Yoq'al*||Dark Inquisitor Xanesh|
|Off-Hand||Uhnish Vwah||Dark Inquisitor Xanesh|
|Helm||Visage of Nightmarish Machinations||N'zoth the Corruptor|
|Shoulders||Spaulders of Miasmic Mycelia||Fury of N'Zoth|
|Cloak||Ashjra'kamas, Shroud of Resolve||Wrathion|
|Chest||Robes of Unreality||Prophet Skitra|
Wrathion (raid boss)
|Belt||Binding of Dark Heresies||Dark Inquisitor Xanesh|
|Legs||Corporeal Supplicant's Trousers||Fury of N'Zoth|
|Boots||Psychic's Subtle Slippers||Prophet Skitra|
|Ring||Ring of Collective Consciousness||Ka'zir|
|Ring||Ring of Cosmic Potential||N'Zoth the Corruptor|
|Trinket||Peerless Alchemist Stone||Alchemy - Crafted|
|Trinket||Humming Black Dragonscale||Wrathion (raid boss)|
|Trinket||Forbidden Obsidian Claw||Maut|
* Vorzz Yoq'al is the best natural corrupted weapon in Ny'alotha, the Waking City with the Corruption effect Void Ritual. Other weapons can corrupt with a more efficient corruption ratio (less corruption, higher stats) and those would generally be preferred. Expect tuning on Void Ritual.
Battle for Dazar'alor Boss Tips & Tricks
- Champion of the Light
- Jadefire Masters
- Conclave of the Chosen
- King Rastahkhan
- High Tinker Mekkatorque
- Stormwall Blockade
- Lady Jaina Proudmoore
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Champion of the Light
- Be sure to watch the boss' stance. Attack the boss during Seal of Retribution and attack the adds during Seal of Reckoning.
- Start ramping up before Judgment: Reckoning to quickly reverse the damage on the group.
- Watch your positioning on this encounter to avoid the Blinding Faith from the Darkforged Crusader mob. It is important to stand slightly to the side to also avoid the Wave of Light from the boss.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Grong
- This encounter focuses primarily on healers observing the boss' energy bar and preparing for his Tantrums at a time that the raid coordinates. The more specific the time that a Tantrum will be triggered the easier you will have in preparing for the damage.
- Be sure to switch targets to help the raid quickly kill the Apetagonizer 3000 that spawn near the boss. The faster they are eliminated, the more consistent your raid will be able to trigger Tantrum at the time of their choosing.
- Rotate through externals on the tank when they are seized by the Bestial Throw.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Jadefire Masters
- Work with your healing team to quickly prioritize dispelling the Rising Flames debuff to avoid heavy raid damage from the Burnout. This can be Mass Dispel but the debuff will come out frequently enough that one priest will not be able to clear all of them consistently.
- During the Fire in the Mist phase, Living Bomb adds will spawn and chain cast Explosion on the raid. These adds are obscured by clouds that cause Line of Sight, so if the raid is focusing down one target quickly move into the field with the rest of the raid and prepare a strong ramp-up to counteract the heavy damage. Also an ideal time for Power Word: Barrier.
- Leap of Faith can be used to bring a falling player safely back down to earth after clearing a Magma Trap. If you have rogues or hunters using immunities, Leap of Faith can also be used to quickly move those players over traps while they immunities are still up to help them clear traps more rapidly.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Opulence
- Important ramp timings will be as the Pulse-quickening Toxin is ticking players down, allowing them to receive the Quickening Pulse buff.
- Dispel Hex of Lethargy as rapidly as possible.
- Healers can choose between the Amethyst of the Shadow King or the Tailwind Sapphire buffs. Due to Discipline's damage being so valuable to the raid, it is generally recommended to take the former so that the Haste buff will substantially increase your damage output onto the Golem and then the boss.
- Make sure to prioritize healing players with the Thief's Bane buff to avoid their demise when the debuff expires. Be sure to stack with those players to also receive the increased mana regen from Dark Knowledge.
- When fighting the boss itself, prepare ramp ups for the boss' cast of Wail of Greed and stack when possible.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Conclave of the Chosen
- On Heroic and above, whenever a Loa Aspect dies they will emit a Cry of the Fallen dealing substantial ticking damage to the group. Look to have a solid ramp up ready as each aspect dies.
- This fight is very much focused on multiple bursts of high damage. Pa'ku's Wrath occurs around every 70 seconds making it impossible to cover it with Evangelism every time. Coordinate with other healers to when you are able to nearly cover an entire burst of damage and where you will have less resources available to you.
- Dispel Mind Wipe as rapidly as possible
- When ramping, work to apply Atonement to players with Kimbul's Wrath's debuff on them first as they will be taking constant bleed damage for the rest of the fight.
- Use Shining Force to knock back Ravenous Stalker adds, preferably into the aspect that the group is killing to allow greater cleave damage on it to quickly kill them.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for King Rastahkhan
- Mechanics to watch for are primarily the Scorching Detonation that goes out frequently from Rastahkhan. The raid will want to stay spread for much of the fight due to the Plague of Fire that can go out, so make sure you have a strong central location to be in range of most all players.
- Bwonsamdi will periodically cast Caress of Death onto players, preventing them from receiving healing for the duration, work to quickly top off players that drop too low during their duration.
- When in the Death Realm with Bwonsamdi, players will receive increasing stacks of Aura of Death. These can be cleared by moving into the realm of the living through a Death Rift while also triggering a Withering Burst in the process. Look to have a steady ramp up prepared to deal with the successive bursts of damage onto the group.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for High Tinker Mekkatorque
- Raid damage is fairly low on Heroic in the first phase as all Gigavolt Blast should be brought behind pillars in the room to reduce aoe damage.
- Watch for the boss' Crash Down ability and ramp up accordingly, this will get increasingly lethal in the final phase with the Hyperdrive buff that the boss gets.
- Mythic features a Gigavolt Radiation Zone making it more difficult for the Gigavolt Blast to be placed behind pillars and possibly forcing the raid to have to take damage from the blasts.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Stormwall Blockade
- Watch for the Tempting Siren's Tempting Song and be ready to Leap of Faith any player that is going to jump off the boat if the damage is not high enough.
- Prepare heavy healing for Katherine's Ire of the Deep as it can leave players vulnerable to any other mechanics from her on her ship.
- Much of the fight will involve heavy dodging on the ship with many avoidable mechanics that can be lethal.
- After both Sea Priest's are killed, you will teleport to the boss at the dock's and begin Phase 2.
Laminara's Sea Swell will deal heavy damage onto the raid and should be well prepared for each time.
- The Mythic encounter was unavailable for testing and this section will be updated with more information when available.
Discipline Priest Talent Recommendations for Lady Jaina Proudmoore
- Through PTR testing this boss had minimal party-wide damage effects and overall dealt low damage to the group outside of avoidable void zones.
- It is imperative to rapidly dispel players effected by Grasp of Frost.
- More updates will be added when the encounter hits live servers.